Tour Code: VDH-07 Duration: 2 Days / 1 Night
Experience an exciting overnight trekking journey braving the lush primary forest and camping inside Hang En -the world's third largest cave!
- Hike Through lush Green Forests to Reach the Quaint Ban Doong Village
- Explore and camp at Hang En - the World’s Third Largest Cave
- Swim in the Natural cave Pools and Admire the 300 million-year-old Fossils of Hang En
Hang En Cave was christened according to the name of the bird that often resides in the cave. Located in the Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park, it is a site under the protection of UNESCO World Heritage and prides itself as being the third largest cave in the world. It is also selected by Warner Bros as a shooting site for the 2015 film “Pan”. In this tour, you will be exposed to the many hidden beauty and allure of the acclaimed Hang En Cave.
Day 1 - Phong Nha / Ban Doong Village / Hang En
After we pick you up from the hotel, we will proceed to the office for the safety briefing for the trip. When we're done, don your gear, suit up and get pumped, because it is time to start the adventure! We will head for a 45 minutes’ drive through the National Park to reach the trailhead. Upon arrival, we will head straight for the jungle and start our journey.
Our destination is the Ban Doong minority village and the road is a winding and steep one. It is not for the faint of heart but it is definitely worth the effort. The lush forest is abundant with the sound of nature as animals such as the sound of buffalos and crickets fill the air. The creatures of the forest are usually shy but if you are lucky, you might catch a glimpse of them peeking back at you. Be lost in the beauty of the jungle as you hear the rush of the river flowing beneath you calmly yet powerfully. Upon your arrival at the village, refresh yourself with a warm cup of tea and join in the picnic lunch close to the river. With recharging done, we will go back into the jungle, through rivers and streams and along the river valley until we reach Hang En.
As you reach Hang En, take a break and chill while the porter team sets up camp within the beach cave. Next, you will get to explore the cave from the entrance all the way to the exit. The reward for this is the breathtaking view waiting for you at the cave exit. In fact, the scenic view has made its way to the film “Pan” so you are definitely in for a view that is worth your while. Then, return to camp through the dry passage and head to the viewpoint above the camp where you will also see some beautiful 300 million-year-old fossils. When you unwind, make sure to try out the natural pool before digging into the mouthwatering dinner served for a day’s hard work.
Day 2 - Hang En / Phong Nha
Stretch your arm and breathe in the fresh morning air. Waking up at 8 A.M., it’s time for breakfast and some quick packing. By 9 A.M. we will be heading back toward Phong Nha so brace yourself and steel your will for the journey ahead. After lunch at noon, we will begin trekking our way back. Walk the meander along the river, tread carefully near the valley and make your way up the hill to the pickup point. There, our driver will be waiting for you to drive you back. So as you make your way back, sit back, relax and take a well deserved rest.
For Join-in Tours:
- If written cancellation request is received and acknowledged more than 90 days before tour departure you will be charged a VND 7,000,000 booking processing fee per person for cancellation and the balance will be refunded
- If written cancellation request is received less than 90 days but more than 45 days before tour departure you will be charged a cancellation fee of 50% of total booking price and the balance will be refunded
- If written cancellation request is received less than 45 days before tour departure, no refund will be provided under any circumstance. Please make sure you have your own travel insurance to cover any unexpected cancellations
For Private Tours:
- If a cancellation request is received and acknowledged more than 90 days before the tour departure you will be charged a cancellation fee of 50% of the total booking price and the balance will be refunded
- If a cancellation request is received less than 90 days before the tour departure no refund will be provided under any circumstance. Please make sure you have your own travel insurance to cover any unexpected cancellations
- You may substitute members of the group up to 1 month prior to the tour departure as long as the substitute members meet our medical and fitness requirements
- Return transport
- Camping gear: tent, camp light, sleeping bag, mattresses, pillow
- Caving & safety gear: caving helmets, caving headlight, gloves
- Semi-dry bag (for clothing and personal belongings excl. electronics)
- Basic canvas trekking boots (only if you do not have your own pair) sizes 36 - 46
- Meals including picnic lunches, dinner (day 1), breakfast (day 2)
- English-speaking tour guide and guide safety assistant
- Porter to carry all camping gear and prepare all meals
- Shared dry box for phones and small cameras (limited availability for larger cameras)
- Water purifier (used only by guide and porters)
- Basic camping facilities with eco-friendly compost toilet using Western toilet seat
- First Aid Kit and Medical Rescue Equipment (application by guides and porters only)
- Secure Storage Facility at the Headquarters to store all luggage you will not be taking on the trek
What's Not Included:
- This tour requires a minimum of 2 pax to be confirmed
- The minimum age for this tour is 16 years old
- This tour has a moderate (22 km) difficulty and is designed for physically active guests
- Please also note that swimming is necessary for this tour
- The operating period for this tour is from December to August and will be closed from September to November
- This tour is subject to availability. Please check with Adventoro Concierge (Call / Whatsapp +6010 468 8011) to inquire about the availability of this tour
- Transfer duration above are estimated and subject to traffic and weather condition, and not inclusive of any sightseeing tours
- Please adhere to strict pick-up time punctuality. Tour operators may forfeit tours for travellers if no-show during the stipulated time
- Registered name of the traveller must be corresponding with photograph documentation (Example: Passport). Tour operators reserve the right to reject if registered traveller fails to provide photographed documentation of their own
- Please Also Bring:
- 1 long (easy to dry) pants and 1 long sleeved shirts to wear during the trek (quick dry)
- 1 pair of shorts and a T-shirt to wear at the campsite (warmer clothes in winter)
- 1 sun hat in the summer
- 1 pair of trekking boots/shoes - difficult terrain, good footwear necessary. Gore-Tex/waterproof boots are NOT recommended as they do not drain well (if you prefer your own comfortable pair)
- 1 pair of flip flops (sandals) for the campsite
- 1 medium size towel and swimwear
- 1 - 2 pairs of calf-length densely woven socks (not ankle socks!)
- Medium sized backpack (25L) to store your water bottle, personal belongings and caving helmet provided
- Personal items: mosquito repellent, sunglasses, hat, camera, underwear, toiletries
Refer to the map below to see a list of pick up locations that are available for you to choose from. You can select your desired pick up location when you book the tour.
List of Locations:
Pick up is also available for other locations under the vicinity of Phong Nha. For more information, please contact Adventoro's concierge service.